I used a paper clip to pick some food out of my braces. When I did that I got a horrible metallic taste in my mouth?
Ben H. – Ohio
Your saliva works as an electrolyte to the two different metals you placed in your mouth. One being the braces and the other the paper clip. When you did that, it caused a reaction. That’s how a battery is formed. Depending on what metals you use, the voltage can get pretty high and can shock or burn you.
Hopefully, your orthodontist told you not to put metal in your mouth, but if not, you know now.
The same thing can happen with silver fillings.
This blog is brought to you by Tulsa Dentist Dr. Ryan Noah.